Subject: [GSoC] Call for Mentors - Help Us Welcome More Contributors to Git

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2026 08:31:22 +0530

Hi all,

We have great news and a small challenge — and we need your help.

This year, Git received 19 GSoC proposals, which speaks to the growing 
interest in contributing to our project. We have 5 strong project ideas 
[1] and are working to select as much candidates as possible (at the 
moment we're capped at 3-4). We're constrained not by the quality of 
proposals, but by mentor availability. Right now, we have only 6 mentors 
(3 primary, 3 co-mentors), and that limits how many promising 
contributors we can take on.

That's where you come in.

If you have experience contributing to Git and can spare some time this 
summer, we'd love to have you on board as a mentor or co-mentor. 
Mentoring is one of the most direct ways to grow our community — many of 
today's long-term contributors got their start through exactly this kind 
of guidance. Karthik, Ayush and Chandra are examples of GSoC 
contributors now turned into community members contributing outside GSoC.

Even stepping up as a co-mentor makes a real difference.

We also have one self-proposed project from a candidate this year [2]. 
If anyone is willing to mentor them specifically, that would be very 
welcome.

If you're interested or have questions, please reply to this thread. 
Every additional mentor means one more contributor we can nurture into a 
long-term member of the Git community.

Thank you!

[[ References ]]

[1]: https://git.github.io/SoC-2026-Ideas/
[2]: 
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

--
Sivaraam