Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Feb 2018, #02; Tue, 13)

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:47:55 -0500

On 2/14/2018 12:23 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> There have been a few "What's cooking" emails since I submitted v1 of
>> "Serialized Git Commit Graph" and it has not appeared with a tracking
>> branch. Is this a mistake, or is it something about the state of the
>> review?
> The latter.
>
> Once I pick up a topic and have it in 'pu', I'd be committing to
> carrying it and keeping it up-to-date, while dealing with possible
> conflicts with other topics.  As I do not have infinite bandwidth, I
> try not to chase targets that are still moving too rapidly, which in
> turn means that a hot topic everybody is excited by its goal will
> take more rerolls than other topics before hitting 'pu', because it
> gets more good suggestions and it takes time for its patches to stop
> morphing a lot.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense.

> The discussion in the last and current rounds gave me an impression
> that some stuff (e.g. "graph-head") are still likely to change quite
> a lot during the review-response cycle.  Is everybody happy with the
> latest set of patches or are there issues raised already in the
> review that are better addressed before we start making it interact
> with other topics in flight?

To avoid causing a tangent in this thread, I'll send a message on the v3 
thread summarizing what I plan to do for v4 and ask for consensus on 
that approach before I do.

Thanks,
-Stolee