Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/10] Spring cleanup of "contrib/"

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2025 14:10:39 +0100

On 10/05/2025 21:07, D. Ben Knoble wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2025 at 11:55 PM Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 6, 2025 at 9:32 PM Todd Zullinger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Eric Sunshine wrote:
>>>> Although we periodically hear that someone uses it, git-contacts
>>>> probably falls into the "tool has a clear alternative" category. In
>>>> this case, git-related[*] is a separately-maintained more functional
>>>> drop-in replacement which people could be using instead of
>>>> git-contacts.

I think there is a value in having git-contacts in our tree as it
means that new contributors do not have to spend time installing an
external tool just to find out who to Cc their patch to. Given that
the script works and we recommend it in our documentation for
contributors it would make sense to keep it. After our experience with
the maintainer of git-related I'd be wary of changing our
documentation to recommend it instead of git-contacts.

Best Wishes

Phillip