Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6] t: fix unused files, part 2

From: Andrei Rybak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 23:03:36 +0200

On 01/05/2023 23:52, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Andrei Rybak <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Creation of files from redirecting output of Git commands in tests has been
>> removed for files which aren't being used for assertions.  CC'ed are authors of
>> the affected tests.
>>
>> v1 cover letter:
>>    https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
>> v2 cover letter:
>>    https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
> 
> This round has not seen any further comments; shall we consider it
> pretty much done and ready to move to 'next' by now?

In general, I'm OK with the series as is.

While answering Ævar's questions to some of the patches in v2, I
went quite deep in trying to investigate what is and isn't important
to validate/assert in particular tests, but I haven't come up with
a good way to include this information in commit messages for this
series.

Notes per patch:

   - 1/6 for t0300 is just an explanation about why one out of three
     cases in one test does not check stdout (and doesn't need to).
     https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

   - 3/6 for t1300 lead to a separate series
     https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

   - 4/6 for t1450 had an idea for a test 'fresh repository has no
     dangling objects'.  I'm doubtful about usefulness of such a test,
     so hasn't sent it as a patch yet.
     https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

   - 6/6 for t2019 -- a dive into how output of "git checkout" is tested
     https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/#t

Patches 2/6 and 5/6 are different from others, because they fix
more obvious issues.

> Thanks.