Subject: [PATCH 2/2] help.c: don't call git_default_config in git_unknown_cmd_config

From: "Simon Gerber via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 15:24:05 +0000

From: Simon Gerber <[email-masked]>

Currently, auto correction doesn't work reliably for commands which must
run in a work tree (e.g. `git status`) in Git work trees which are
created from a bare repository.

As far as I'm able to determine, this has been broken since commit
659fef199f (help: use early config when autocorrecting aliases,
2017-06-14), where the call to `git_config()` in `help_unknown_cmd()`
was replaced with a call to `read_early_config()`. From what I can tell,
the actual cause for the unexpected error is that we call
`git_default_config()` in the `git_unknown_cmd_config` callback instead
of simply returning `0` for config entries which we aren't interested
in.

Calling `git_default_config()` in this callback to `read_early_config()`
seems like a bad idea since those calls will initialize a bunch of state
in `environment.c` (among other things `is_bare_repository_cfg`) before
we've properly detected that we're running in a work tree.

All other callbacks provided to `read_early_config()` appear to only
extract their configurations while simply returning `0` for all other
config keys.

This commit changes the `git_unknown_cmd_config` callback to not call
`git_default_config()`. Instead we also simply return `0` for config
keys which we're not interested in.

Signed-off-by: Simon Gerber <[email-masked]>
---
 help.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/help.c b/help.c
index d04542d8261..ae534ff0bae 100644
--- a/help.c
+++ b/help.c
@@ -563,7 +563,7 @@ static int git_unknown_cmd_config(const char *var, const char *value, void *cb)
 	if (skip_prefix(var, "alias.", &p))
 		add_cmdname(&aliases, p, strlen(p));
 
-	return git_default_config(var, value, cb);
+	return 0;
 }
 
 static int levenshtein_compare(const void *p1, const void *p2)
-- 
gitgitgadget