Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/7] RFC: Accelerate xdiff and begin its rustification

From: Pierre-Emmanuel Patry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2025 11:01:22 +0200

On Tue, Jul 23, 2025 at 06:32:06 +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
 > It would be great to know about the general timelines of these
 > alternative implementations.

We still think we'll be able to compile libcore before the end of the 
summer, we've made great progress and few items are left. But keep in 
mind we're targeting an older version of rust (1.49) and libcore is 
smaller than the standard library. We still have a lot of testing to do 
and we expect many bugs.

The next targeted version will probably be rust 1.78 as we want to keep 
up with rust for linux. This shouldn't be too long as most of the 
features are coming from either standard library modifications or 
nightly features we already had to support for 1.49.

We expect to be able to compile some 1.49 code correctly next year at 
best. I would like to bring to your attention rustc_codegen_gcc which 
adds a gcc backend to the rustc frontend, although not a full gcc 
compiler it could help supporting some architectures that are currently 
not supported by llvm.

Pierre-Emmanuel