Subject: [PATCH v3 08/11] cmake (Windows): initialize vcpkg/build dependencies automatically

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 21:09:13 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

The idea of having CMake support in Git's source tree is to enable
contributors on Windows to start contributing with little effort. To
that end, we just added some sensible defaults that will let users open
the worktree in Visual Studio and start building.

This expects the dependencies (such as zlib) to be available already,
though. If they are not available, we expect the user to run
`compat/vcbuild/vcpkg_install.bat`.

Rather than requiring this step to be manual, detect the situation and
run it as part of the CMake configuration step.

This concludes our journey to make it as effortless as possible to start
developing Git in Visual Studio: all the developer needs to do is to
clone Git's repository, open the worktree via `File>Open>Folder...` and
wait for CMake to finish configuring.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
 contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt | 4 ++++
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+)

diff --git a/contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt b/contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt
index 13d958f5a6..6a92ec9763 100644
--- a/contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -42,6 +42,10 @@ cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.14)
 set(CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR ${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR}/../..)
 if(WIN32)
 	set(VCPKG_DIR "${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/compat/vcbuild/vcpkg")
+	if(NOT EXISTS ${VCPKG_DIR})
+		message("Initializinge vcpkg and building the Git's dependencies (this will take a while...)")
+		execute_process(COMMAND ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR}/compat/vcbuild/vcpkg_install.bat)
+	endif()
 	list(APPEND CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH "${VCPKG_DIR}/installed/x64-windows")
 
 	# In the vcpkg edition, we need this to be able to link to libcurl
-- 
gitgitgadget