Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 6/8] rebase: add --update-refs option

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 06:56:23 -0600

On 7/1/22 3:20 PM, Elijah Newren wrote:
>> +/*
>> + * For each 'pick' command, find out if the commit has a decoration in
> Is this really limited to picks?  If someone uses --autosquash and has
> a fixup or squash in the list, wouldn't this apply as well, or does
> all of this apply before the transformations to fixup/squash?  Also,
> what if the user is doing --rebase-merges and there's a merge commit
> with a branch pointing at the merge.   Would that be included?
> 
>> + * refs/heads/. If so, then add a 'label for-update-refs/' command.
>> + */

This is limited to picks (for now) mostly for the reason that the
fixup! and squash! commits are probably getting reordered, even if
they exist at the tip of some refs.

The workflow I am optimizing for is to create fixup! and squash!
commits at the tip of a long multi-topic series, and then those
get reordered into the list. In that case, the only ref that is
pointing at one of those commits is also the HEAD branch, so that
is not updated using this mechanism.

This is a case where I'm very interested in alternatives here, and
maybe I should clearly mark this option as experimental so we can
work out cases like this based on use.

Thanks,
-Stolee