Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] doc: add caveat about turning off commit-graph

From: "Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2026 23:14:27 +0200

On Thu, May 7, 2026, at 21:56, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> On 5/7/2026 3:42 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>> From: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
>
>> Range-diff against v2:
>> 1:  82faa72f7bf ! 1:  fb5ba74ea3e doc: add caveat about turning off commit-graph
>>     @@ Commit message
>>          But this isn’t mentioned in the user-facing doc. Let’s mention it on
>>          git-replace(1) and git-commit-graph(1).
>>
>>     +    Acked-by: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
>>          Signed-off-by: Kristoffer Haugsbakk <[email-masked]>
>>
>>       ## Documentation/git-commit-graph.adoc ##
> In general, you don't need to do this. Junio will add these
> during his application of the series, if necessary.

It’s certainly not necessary, yeah. :)

I am basing this on a recollection of someone quoting this from
SubmittingPatches:

    Do not forget to add trailers such as `Acked-by:`, `Reviewed-by:` and
    `Tested-by:` lines as necessary to credit people who helped your
    patch, and "cc:" them when sending such a final version for inclusion.

They said that this was outdated since Junio does it himself. But then
Junio replied and said that it’s good/better if the contributor does it.

I’m terrible at finding back to conversations from more than six months
ago, but it might have been this one:[1]

    >> +Do not forget to add trailers such as `Acked-by:`, `Reviewed-by:` and
    >> +`Tested-by:` lines as necessary to credit people who helped your
    >> +patch, and "cc:" them when sending such a final version for inclusion.
    >
    > Again, not a new problem introduced by this patch, but it seems like
    > all of these are actively wrong. In every case, these trailers are
    > _given_ by reviewers _after_ a series has been submitted (thus, too
    > late for the author to add them), ...

    Well, this is another instance that I may be trying to be too
    helpful and over extending myself, which does not make the process
    scale well (the other one being the "one final resend after the
    list reached a consensus").

    If the authors collect Acks and Reviewed-by's and resend after the
    list reached the concensus, it may take one extra iteration, but I
    no longer have to keep track of these trailers myself, which could
    be a big win.

    So, I dunno.

In conclusion for now: I dunno. :)

† 1: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/#t

I won’t rush to resubmit over adding a trailer if I know the maintainer
might have already applied the patch. But seeing as how he’s more or
less away-from-inbox right now I figured he won’t beat me to it.