Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.5.4

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:30:20 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Besides, if you do not like that our installer shows the GPL, just go and 
> make your own (but be sure to shell out money to your lawyer of choice to 
> confirm that the GPL allows you to do that).
>
> The Git installer of msysGit will always show the GPL, and have the user 
> accept it.

I may be missing the details because I do not do Windows myself,
but if you are discussing the "end user binary distribution"
one, then I think:

 * It is a mistake if you do not to show GPL, as you are
   redistributing GPL code in a binary form and you need to tell
   the end user his rights (e.g. he can request source for it,
   the source is found at a well known location, etc.)

 * The restriction on redistribution of modified program would
   probably not apply (unless the receiver hacks binary) to most
   casual users, so making the label say "I Accept" feels a bit
   silly (but still is technically correct).  As Nico suggested,
   "Continue" may be fine here, as long as the message already
   says "this program is distributed under this license you are
   looking at".

I recall you had another installer that gives the full
development environment for hack on "git" with a clone of the
git repository.  I do not know if you still offer that
installer, but "I Accept" would be very appropriate for that
one.