Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] Do not show "diff --git" metainfo with --no-prefix

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:19:57 -0800

Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:

> That's why tying "--git" together with any prefix handling is wrong: 
> because it's a totally different issue. It's true that "git-apply" right 
> now doesn't understand these things, but assuming we want to teach 
> git-apply to apply to subprojects eventually (we do, don't we?) we'll 
> eventually have to teach it.

That's all correct but

 * currently diff does not recurse, nor apply does not apply
   recursively;

 * "git diff" that comes with 1.5.4, if we do not do anything,
   can produce a diff that will be rejected by the stricter
   check "git apply" has when used with --no-prefix and friends;

 * submodule aware versions of "git diff" can be told to add
   "--mark-as-git-diff" when it passes "--src-prefix=a/git-gui"
   and "--dst-prefix=b/git-gui" when it recurses internally, to
   defeat what my proposed patch does.

So I think it makes more sense to mark output as a non-git diff
when custom prefix is used in the version we are going to ship
as part of 1.5.4.