Subject: Re: Adding push configuration to .git/config

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:46:33 -0800

Nico -telmich- Schottelius <[email-masked]> writes:

> ...
> [branch "otherbranch"]
>    merge = otherremote
>    push = otherremote
>    push = classmate
>    push = myremote
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> What do you think about that approach?

Huh?

Is this a reinjection of an ancient message by some gateway?

You were already told branch.$name.merge has a defined meaning and
syntax, and you cannot make it refer to a remote shorthand without
breaking an existing setup.

Also if you want to have more than one destination repository for a
single push, I think that is already supported with remote.$name.url.

IIRC, there was a suggestion to enhance remote.$name configuration in
this way instead, so that you can use different URL for fetching and
pushing:

	[branch "foo"]
        remote = "there"
        merge = refs/heads/master

	[remote "there"]
        url = git://git.there.xz/repo.git
        push_url = git.there.xz:repo.git
        push_url = git.there.xz:backup.git
	fetch = refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/there/*

I further vaguely recall that the comments on the alternative were
positive (it might have been you who responded, or somebody else, I do
not remember).