Subject: Re: Add uninstall target to Makefile

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:01:19 -0700

Tony Luck <[email-masked]> writes:

> Perhaps it would be easier[1] to support "make obsolete-uninstall"
> that would remove
> objects installed by previous generations of git?
>
> -Tony
>
> [1] easier, nicer, cleaner, less detestable, whatever.

And how far back a release should we keep track of the name of
obsolete versions?  /usr/bin/git-uninstall for each particular
version that knows what that version ships _might_ make some
sense, but I do not see much point in having uninstall target in
the Makefile.  Should one be allowed to run make uninstall with
bindir or DESTDIR set to different values from the ones used
when 'make install' was run the last time?  What about things
like "make WITH_SEND_MAIL=YesPlease install"?

Guys, packaged distributions know how to remove obsolete
binaries.  OTOH if you are building from the source and
installing, you are the only one who knows what you are
installing and where.