Subject: Re: git am and the wrong chunk of ---

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 18:26:21 -0700

"H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have some contributors who consistently put their commentary
> *before* the "---" line rather than *after* it, presumably with the
> notion that it is some kind of "cover text".  This messes with "git
> am", and so I end up having to edit those posts manually.
>
> I have tried git am --scissors and it doesn't seem to solve the problem.
>
> Is there any other option which can be used to automatically process
> such a patch?

I hate to be the one who is telling you this, but if the submitter
cannot be trained to write supporting material after "---" as the
convention across git using projects suggest him to do, it is likely
that he didn't write supporting material before the scissors, or did
not resist the temptation to deviate from the accepted shape of the
scissors (e.g. "-- >8 --") just to be creative.  For that matter, I
would be mildly surprised if the material in the middle is usable as
is as an acceptable log message from such a submitter X-<.

So in short, no, --scissors (or -c in short) is not any more magical
than the traditional "---".