Subject: Re: undoing something

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:11:04 -0700

"John Dlugosz" <[email-masked]> writes:

> === Re: ===
> The answer was best only because in your previous question you wanted to
> ensure fast-forwardness, i.e. "git push . origin/dev:dev" without plus
> in
> front to cause it to fail if it is not fast-forward.
> === end ===

This is offtopic, but *PLEASE* notice that nobody else quotes like this
around here.  I find the style of quoting makes it unnecessarily harder to
skip over parts that others wrote (and I've already read---so I do not
want to waste my time on re-reading them) to get to what you are adding to
the discussion quickly, and extremely annoying.  It is the reason why I am
skipping many of your replies to other people without reading to the end,
even when I suspect you might be saying something worth reading.

> No, I don't want to ensure ff.

I was referring to the exchange that started with this message from you:

From: "John Dlugosz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:04:25 -0500
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

where you asked:

> I want to advocate running
> 
>         git fetch
> 
> as being a safe thing to do at any time, just to refresh your view of
> the origin and not mess up any of your local labels.  That is, you can
> see the difference between the local dev and the origin/dev.
> 
> So, after inspecting the changes, how do you fast-forward your local dev
> to sync up with origin/dev?

and I gave you an answer (with a typo you corrected in another message
today) "git push . origin/dev:dev".  In that context, you clearly want to
encure fast-forward, and local push without + is an easy and safe way to
do so.

That is where "it is best only because" came from.  If you are not
interested in ensuring fast-forward, "local push" may not be best, and
there are other ways (I've shown you at least two, so I won't repeat
them) to choose from.