Subject: Re: markdown 2 man, was Re: Git Community Book

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:30:09 -0700

Wincent Colaiuta <[email-masked]> writes:

> Funnily enough, he chose to title it the "Git Community Book". Hard to  
> match Scott's enthusiasm; this is the second major initiative we've  
> seen from him in the last few days (the other being git-scm.com  
> itself) which to the casual onlooker might look like the "official"  
> Git homepage and documentation, but in both cases development occurred  
> behind the scenes and the list was only notified after the fact.  

I think your "Behind the scenes, after the fact" is being unnecessarily
harsh.

What counts is what happens now after the launch, when there are issues
identified that he could address on his side if he wanted to work with the
community.  "Ignore and fork forever" may be to further fracture the
community, but for a book like his that has quite different aim than the
official manual set, it might be a sensible approach.  You have to weigh
the pros and cons.

We've seen other comments raised to both the book and the git-scm.com site
on this list after they were announced.  We'll see how they are addressed
in coming weeks.  I think it is not too late to voice your negative
judgements only after seeing what happens.