Subject: Re: People unaware of the importance of "git gc"?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 16:42:37 -0700

Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
> The index?  What's that?  ;-)

Sorry, my mistake.  You are always more right than I am [tm] ;-)

> The more I think of it, the less I like automatic repack.  There is 
> always a bad case for it somewhere.

I tend to agree, but at the same time, I think the long term
goal should be not to have bad cases.

Old timers like ourselves learned to run "repack -a -d" when not
doing real work (i.e. beginning of the day while fetching
coffee, before leaving to lunch break, end of the day before
leaving) and we have been _trained_ not to feel that a choir,
but I think that is wrong.  "Sync freezes I/O for and causes my
real-time databasy job undue latency --- I would want to disable
swapper/bdflush/whatever machine-wide and prefer typing 'sync'
from the command line when it is convenient for me" is fine for
an experienced user working on a single user machine, but it
still feels wrong (we do not have "multi-user" issues in git
repository, so this analogy is not quite right, though).