Subject: What's in git.git

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 23:57:37 -0800

The updated pack-object series is now in "next" branch, and
seems to be cooking nicely.  The "reuse from existing pack"
change seems to be a huge win and I haven't found problems in
there.

There now is further performance improvements for git-send-pack
to avoid sending a huge blob or tree object in its full
representation when we know the other end has a suitable object
to use as the base; instead we can just send it out deltified.
The other end would expand it to a loose object and this would
not make abit of difference in the resulting repository -- only
the bandwidth requirement reduction is visible [*1*].

In principle, this is also applicable for fetch-pack, but it
involves a bit of pack protocol change.  The protocol extension
mechanism was done nicely by Johannes a while ago, and we can
use it to implement this with full backward compatibility.

After a bit more testing, we might want to make --thin transfer
the default (even without an option to turn it off -- I just do
not see a point not to use it if it is bug-free).

* The 'master' branch has these since the last announcement.

Junio C Hamano:
      fmt-merge-msg: say which branch things were merged into unless 'master'
      Allow git-mv to accept ./ in paths.
      Documentation: fix typo in rev-parse --short option description.
      fmt-merge-msg: do not add excess newline at the end.
      Merge branch 'jc/mv'
      Merge branch 'jc/merge-msg'

* The 'next' branch, in addition, has these.

Johannes Schindelin:
      Fixes for ancient versions of GNU make
      avoid makefile override warning
      Really honour NO_PYTHON

Junio C Hamano:
      Merge branch 'jc/merge-msg' into next
      Merge branch 'js/portable' into next
      rev-list --objects-edge
      Merge branch 'jc/rev-list' into next
      Thin pack - create packfile with missing delta base.
      send-pack --thin: use "thin pack" delta transfer.
      Merge branch 'jc/pack-thin' into next

[Footnote]

*1* The version of the patch I earlier sent to the list had a
grave performance bug; please do not use it.  The one in "next"
branch has the bug fixed already.