Subject: Re: push not resolving commit-ish?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 11:10:32 -0700

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Looks like push can't resolve tags to commits.
>> Why is that?
>>
>> linux$ git push -f $PWD v3.10-rc2:refs/heads/vhost-next
>
> Perhaps v3.10-rc2^{}. Yeah, totally and completely not-user-friendly,

More commonly "v3.10-rc2^0:vhost-next", if you are truly pushing it
out to a remote repository, but then it invites a puzzlement "What
do you plan to do next after pushing?  The only reason v3.10-rc2 is
used is because there is not yet a local branch that will host the
vhost-next changes that is built on top of that tag (otherwise you
would be pushing that branch to vhost-next)".

But in this particular case, you are force-pushing into the current
repository, and it is spelled much more commonly

    git branch -f vhost-next v3.10-rc2

I would think.