Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] commit notes workflow

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:59:59 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> So your commit template looks like:
>
>   subject
>
>   commit message body
>   ---
>   notes data
>
>   # usual template stuff
>
> I'm curious what people think. Do others find this useful? Does it seem
> harmful?

As long as this is done only under "commit --notes", I don't think it
should hurt innocent bystanders.

> It's yet another magic format to worry about when writing a commit
> message. But you don't need to care unless you use "--notes" (and I
> would probably add a config option, since I would always want this on
> personally).

Then --no-notes would also be necessary, but I think you would get it for
free these days ;-).

> I only turn on --edit when we launch an editor. It seems somehow more
> confusing to me that "git commit -F file" should split notes out (or
> worse, "git commit -m").

So if you see -F -m and there is no --edit, you don't split out notes at
the divider?  That sounds like a sensible thing to me.