Subject: Re: [1.8.0] perl/Git.pm: moving away from using Error.pm module

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:20:42 -0800

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Proposal:
>
> Replace use of Error.pm module in Git.pm with either Exception::Class
> based error class, or using 'carp'/'croak' from Carp, or both by adding 
> an option to set error handler in 'Git' class (like e.g. in 'CHI' 
> module on CPAN).

Personally, I was never a big fan of the syntax magic with Error.pm, but I
refrained from commenting on it as I am not heavily involved in that part
of the system.  If we are going to change things so that everybody uses a
more traditional "eval {}; if ($@) { ... }", it would be a welcome change
from my point of view.

> Migration plan:

Do we even need one?

As far as an external caller is concerned, it would have been expecting us
to throw an exception by dying, and it wouldn't have mattered if it used
Error.pm or "eval { $call_to_Git_pm }; if ($@) {...}", I think.