Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6] cleanups for git-send-email

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:23:53 -0700

[email-masked] (Bill Pemberton) writes:

> My changes come directly from the book "Perl Best Practices".  Just as
> ...
> Again, it prevents bugs.  People use "and" vs "&&" as the same thing,
> when they are not.  The have different precedence in perl.
>
> For example, 
>
> next if not $finished || $x < 5;
> next if !$finished || $x < 5;
>
> do not mean the same thing.
> ...
> Again, it prevents potential bugs down the road....

Earlier I did guide the community not to use "more advanced" (aka
"obscure") Perl features so that people not so familiar with Perl can
still tweak scripts without breaking them; the tricks in your patches that
"prevent potential bugs" are in line with that, and that is why I said my
personal taste more or less agrees with your patch already.

But the line between "more advanced and tricky" and "if you are coding in
Perl you should know your language" is not so black and white as you seem
to think.  I'd rather defer that decision to whoever is taking send-email
over.