Subject: Re: tracking repository

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:17:24 -0700

Daniel Barkalow <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> ...
>> ...  It still has an independent issue
>> that this is now called by "git remote show" or "git remote prune", and it
>> will die with a nonsense "refusing to create" error message, though.
>> 
>> The error, as far as I can tell, is half about a misconfigured config
>> (e.g. "fetch = refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/[]?/*") and half about screwy
>> remote repository (e.g. a misnamed "[]?" branch on the remote end can try
>> to update a broken "refs/remotes/origin/[]?" even the configuration is a
>> perfectly valid "fetch = refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*").  It may
>> make sense to reword the error message to "ignoring" from "refusing" and
>> do just that without dying here.  I dunno.
>
> Yeah, I think that's right. (And this patch is also right)

Which means that an error checking (i.e. dying) needs to be added to
whatever reads from config to find "refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/[]?/*" to
cover the first half.  That's an configuration error and we should not
just say "ignoring" but actively urge the user to correct, no?