Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: update git-pull.txt for clone's new default behavior

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:17:33 -0800

Luben Tuikov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>         [remote "origin"]
>>                 url = http://blah/blah.git
>>                 fetch = refs/heads/master
>> 
>> is also fine.  The point is that you do not have to use tracking
>> branches.  ", and when you get it here, ..." part is optional.
>
> Ok. So then in this case "fetch = refs/heads/master" describes
> .git/refs/heads/master or something else?

It names http://blah/blah.git/refs/heads/master (unless blah.git
repository uses packed refs then has pruned the loose refs).

> If it does, then this is a local map.

No, it is just a list of remote refs (one element list because
there is only one "fetch =" line).

> Does this mean that "fetch = <remote>:" is legal?  Shouldn't the
> RHS always exist?

Documentation/pull-fetch-param.txt