Subject: Re: [PATCH] disable post-checkout test on Cygwin

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:42:31 -0700

Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Johannes Sixt, Tue, Mar 17, 2009 17:59:09 +0100:
>> Junio C Hamano schrieb:
>> > Alex Riesen <[email-masked]> writes:
>> > 
>> >> It is broken because of the tricks we have to play with
>> >> lstat to get the bearable perfomance out of the call.
>> >> Sadly, it disables access to Cygwin's executable attribute,
>> >> which Windows filesystems do not have at all.
>> > 
>> > Hmm, perhaps when checking hooks to see if they are executable, Cygwin
>> > port should avoid using the "tricks"?  Compared to paths inside the
>> > worktree the number of hooks is a lot smaller, no?
>> 
>> Hmm. Nowadays, we run hooks through run_hook() in run_command.c. It uses
>
> The problem is that copy_templates_1 does an lstat on the files in
> templates directory and gets 0666 mode (regular file, non-exec) for
> executable file under current Cygwin port. The st_mode of that lstat
> is passed to copy_file mentioned, which is useless now as we use the
> Win32 version of lstat, which doesn't do x-bit.

Ahhh.

I do not mind the patch as a band-aid to make the testsuite pass, so I'll
apply your patch as-is.  Thanks.

But isn't this something shops that do deploy Cygwin version of git want
to see fixed, so that they can have a site-wide policy implemented in the
hooks copied from templates?  I think we could pass mode 0 to copy_files()
and have the function special case it (and allow a platform specific
copy_files() implementated by Cygwin).  lstat() in the copy_templates_1()
codepath is primarily done to see if we need to descend into a directory
or symlink() and our use of st.st_mode to pass to copy_files() is a no
cost side effect on platforms with x-bit support.

>> access(..., X_OK), not lstat(). We don't play games with access(), do we?
>
> access(..., X_OK) will return -1.

That codepath would also need to be fixed if Cygwin wants to use hooks, I
would guess.