Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: point git-prune users to git-gc

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 18:01:52 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not so sure that they are interested in the prune command. At first
> I started with just a note near the end, but the point of this is
> specifically to deal with users who "stumble" upon prune, either from
> reading the command list (i.e., trying to match a command to the
> objective they want to perform) or from pre-gc tutorials or emails which
> mention it.

Ah, you are right.  People tend to stop reading when they _think_ they
heard enough even though they haven't.  The note upfront is good, and I
suspect we would not have to reword the latter parts either then.

>> > +Notes
>> > +-----
>> > +
>> > +In most cases, users will not need to call git-prune directly, but
>> > +should instead call linkgit:git-gc[1], which handles pruning along with
>> > +many other housekeeping tasks.
>> 
>> ... this paragraph should be made a bit fatter by mentioning what "other
>> housekeeping tasks" are.
>
> OK, I was trying to imply "go look at git-gc for those tasks" so they
> didn't have to be repeated. Would you prefer it be spelled out
> explicitly here, or is a more firm pointer OK?

Will apply as is.

Thanks.