Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC 06/10] Unify the lenght of $SHORT* and the commits in the TODO list

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:20:40 -0700

Jörg Sommer <[email-masked]> writes:

> “This makes it easier to test for equality of a commit in the TODO list
> and one of SHORTUPSTREAM, SHORTHEAD or SHORTONTO.”

"Equality testing?" --- that makes me worried.  short=7 does not chomp
them at 7 but only tells rev-parse to use at least 7.  You may get 8 or
more if there are other objects that share the same prefix when you get
them.

Perhaps by forcing "at least 7" everywhere you are getting consistent
result that makes them easier to compare.

But considering that this is a candidate for a general mechanism to
eventual grow into the git-sequencer, and that we expect to have richer,
smarter, and/or more complex set of tools that feeds you the TODO list,
I'd feel safer if the internal comparison used to determine which one
commit the user meant in his TODO file is robust and does not rely on
where the abbreviated object name was chomped at.

Some of the tools may even do not show the raw TODO list in vi to the user
but instead present the list in a GUI, and you may get fed the full
40-hexdigit object name in the underlying TODO list they generate.