Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: whitespace cleanup around '='

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 03:20:57 -0700

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> I remember discussing things with Timo and was putting it on
>> hold since I knew you were also actively futzing on gitweb.
>
> So when I apply someone else patches should I reply to the post
> with patch I have applied with
>
>   Acked-by: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
>
> to notify of that fact?

Acked-by does not mean you've applied it to your tree, and even
if it did, it is unfair to expect me to remember that fact when
I review your patch later.  In this particular case, a note in
the patch to say it depends on such and such that _I_ do not
seem to have yet would have been more appropriate.

Acked-by would also be helpful when a de-facto owner of the code
wants to push acceptance of others' patches, but that is
independent from stating what a patch's prerequisites are.

Anyhow, I've reviewed Timo's patch (which made sense to me too),
and your whitespace fixes and pushed out the result, which
hopefully will be propagating to the mirrors soon.  Overall, I
would say that the clean-up on gitweb so far is reasonably
straightforward.  I have been running "next" version of gitweb
on my private machine and haven't found regression.

I'll go to bed now.  Thanks for the patches.