Subject: Re: [PATCH] Avoid unnecessary 'lstat()' calls in 'get_stat_data()'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 21:20:07 -0700

Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 14:57:30 -0700
>
> When we ask get_stat_data() to get the mode and size of an index entry,
> ...
> Signed-off-by: Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]>
> ---
> I sent this as part of the "make 'git checkout' preload the index" patch, 
> but since the preloading was of somewhat dubious value, and this part of 
> it is not, I'll just send this one-liner as an "obvious performance fix".

Oops.

I have been processing the patches in my "after 1.6.3" mailbox from the rc
freeze period and have already queued this one, but the re-integration of
four branches is taking a bit longer than usual.  It takes too much time
to run tests (and as a part of my build procedure I do docs, too) for all
integration branches, and until they all pass tests on Debian5 (primary
development box) and Fedora9 (at k.org) I do not push the result out, so
it is a bit painful for me to replace a patch once a day's testing cycle
begins.

I was about ready to push the whole thing out, but with this much improved
commit log message, it is _very tempting_ to rewind what I queued and redo
today's cycle.

I'll see how many other such (re)-sends I've got; most likely I'll redo
today's cycle after replacing what I earlier have queued with this and
your 'checkout' one, and also a patch from Dave Olszewski I want to
replace with the 'real' one.

Thanks.