Subject: Re: "error: non-monotonic index" during fresh linux-2.6.git cloning.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:15:16 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Evgeniy Polyakov <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> $ git clone http://kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>> Getting alternates list for http://kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
>> Getting pack list for http://kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
>> Getting index for pack 81cec7c6b26c755e466a79de8dbe1c7b827a48d6
>> error: non-monotonic index
>> /usr/bin/git-clone: line 33:  2025 Segmentation fault git-http-fetch -v -a -w "$tname" "$name" "$1/"
>>
>> $ git --version
>> git version 1.4.4.4
>>
>> Fresh 32bit Debian testing.
>
> The repository you are cloning uses pack idx version #2; 1.4.4.4 predates it
> by a wide margin.

By the way, Debian folks are very aware of the issue and already has a
backported material to cut a 1.4.4.5, but I do not know what the release
schedule for their update is.

Is it an option for you to update to a more modern version from say
backports.org?  Everybody using git for anything serious should be using
1.5.3 or newer these days.