Subject: Re: Suprising error message from "git clone"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:25:40 -0700

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Untested but something like this should suffice...
>
> Jest tested, it works fine.

Thanks.

>> By the way, could you possibly drop Mail-Followup-To: please?
>
> Err, what's the problem with it? I don't wish to receive duplicate,
> and I ask your mailer not to do so. I don't care too much if the
> header is not honnored, but what you have to do is just to followup
> without bothering about it.

For example, your response had this:

    Mail-Followup-To: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>,
	    git <[email-masked]>

Suppose somebody else who read your message on the git list has
something to say to _YOU_.  Maybe he is pointing out some of the
problems in _your_ thinking.  He may not mind me hearing what he
tells you, but he is primarily talking to you.

Although in practice I tend to pay attention to whatever is said
on the git mailing list, I certainly do not want _my_ address on
the To: header of such a response.  He wants to talk to _you_,
not me, and I process mails addressed "To: " me, and then only
when I have enough time to do so move on to other messages.

You either (1) stole time from me by forcing his message
addressed "To: " me, or (2) if the person who responded to your
message were kind and careful enough to "fix" the header so that
the message is addressed to you and demoting me to the Cc: list,
then you stole time from him.

With (1) you are being rude against me, and with (2) you are
being rude against whoever responds to you.

Please don't.

Filtering duplicates on the receiving end in your mailbox should
not be too much of a hassle, either.