Subject: Re: Friendly refspecs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:41:17 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 12:31:02PM +0300, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>
>> There is still one thing (at least) that I don't quite understand. It's
>> about "git push". When I do
>> 
>>   $ git push <remote> <branch>
>> 
>> the refs/heads/<branch> is updated or created on the remote side. But if
>> I do
>> 
>>   $ git push <remote> <branch1>:<branch2>
>> 
>> the refs/heads/<branch2> is not automatically created.

Eh, there is no way unless you force an assumption of a particular
workflow to everybody else.

What you would say on the second command is not literally "<branch2>" but
something like "work-in-progress", or "crap".  Even an AI would not be
able to guess if you wanted to create a branch on the other side, or
wanted to put a lightweight tag to let people know where you are (possibly
with the intention of removing it once you are done), and git is not an AI.