Subject: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:48:05 -0800

Here are the topics that have been cooking.  Commits prefixed
with '-' are only in 'pu' while commits prefixed with '+' are
in 'next'.  Others commits may be stashed in 'offcuts'.

The topics list the commits in reverse chronological order.

----------------------------------------------------------------
[New Topics]

* jc/git-symref (Tue Dec 11 16:42:46 2007 -0800) 1 commit
 . PARK: show-symref protocol extension.

This is a demonstration of a possible component in the future direction
for HEAD discovery done by git-clone.

----------------------------------------------------------------
[Graduated to 'master']

* jc/merge-recursive-gitlink (Mon Dec 10 11:22:05 2007 -0800) 1 commit
* ew/svn-rev-db (Sat Dec 8 23:27:42 2007 -0800) 2 commits
* jk/svn-color (Tue Dec 11 01:28:42 2007 -0500) 2 commits

These got success stories and Acks.  Thanks for testing.

* cc/help (Wed Dec 12 14:00:24 2007 -0800) 13 commits

I've updated RPM git.spec.in minimally to adjust to the locations things
are installed, and also made "browse-help" usable outside git repository.

* jc/shortlog-e (Tue Dec 11 10:09:04 2007 -0800) 4 commits

Ingo's wish resulted in reversal of numbers and names in short-summary
output, which I think is much saner than the original one, and more
importantly, a saner default behaviour when the user does not give
sufficient parameters to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
[Will cook further in 'next' and then merge to 'master' soon]

We are at 1.5.4-rc0.  There is not much to see here ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------
[Actively cooking]

* jc/api-doc (Sat Nov 24 23:48:04 2007 -0800) 1 commit
 - Start preparing the API documents.

The primary reason of this series is because I think we made the system
a lot less approachable by losing hackability.  Although we still have
sample scripts in contrib/example for use of plumbing in scripts, they
will not help aspiring git-hacker-wannabees when our primary attention
has already shifted to moving things to C.

This currently consists of mostly stubs, although I wrote about a few
topics as examples.  Nice to have in v1.5.4, but we need more writers.

----------------------------------------------------------------
[On hold]

* nd/dashless (Wed Nov 28 23:21:57 2007 +0700) 1 commit
 - Move all dashed-form commands to libexecdir

I think this is a sane thing to do in the longer term.  Will be in
'next' after v1.5.4.  I think "leave porcelain on PATH" might be also a
good thing as a transition measure.

Incidentally, if we do not install dashed form of built-ins anywhere
(which is not this series is about --- this is just moving them out of
user's PATH), "git help -a" will stop showing them.  I am not enthused
about removing the hardlinks to built-ins to begin with, but people who
want such a change need to first modify help.c:list_commands() to pick
up builtins without having git-foo hardlinks in gitexecdir.  This may
need to happen anyway as mingw fallouts.

* js/remote (Wed Dec 5 19:02:15 2007 +0000) 4 commits
 - Make git-remote a builtin
 - Test "git remote show" and "git remote prune"
 - parseopt: add flag to stop on first non option
 - path-list: add functions to work with unsorted lists

This and Kristian's "git-clone in C" are on hold and post 1.5.4.

----------------------------------------------------------------
[Stalled]

* ns/checkout-push-pop (Wed Dec 5 07:04:06 2007 +0900) 1 commit
 - git-checkout --push/--pop

A reasonably cleanly written cute hack, and I do not see this breaking
the normal codepath.  But I tend to agree with people that 'push' is
too late for forgetful mortals, and just a single "previous" would be
easier to use.

* mh/http (Tue Dec 11 00:08:25 2007 +0100) 6 commits
 - Move fetch_ref from http-push.c and http-walker.c to http.c
 - Fix various memory leaks in http-push.c and http-walker.c
 - Use strbuf in http code
 + Avoid redundant declaration of missing_target()
 + Remove a CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER (un)setting
 + Remove the default_headers variable from http-push.c

* js/reflog-delete (Wed Oct 17 02:50:45 2007 +0100) 1 commit
 + Teach "git reflog" a subcommand to delete single entries

* jk/builtin-alias (Fri Nov 30 11:22:58 2007 -0500) 1 commit
 + Support builtin aliases

Even the original author has slight NAK on this and I tend to agree.
May want to eventurally revert from 'next' but we are not in a hurry
even to do that.

* jc/nu (Sun Oct 14 22:07:34 2007 -0700) 3 commits
 - merge-nu: a new merge backend without using unpack_trees()
 - read_tree: take an explicit index structure
 - gcc 4.2.1 -Werror -Wall -ansi -pedantic -std=c99: minimum fix

* jc/diff-pathspec (Sun Nov 25 10:03:48 2007 -0800) 1 commit
 - Making ce_path_match() more useful by accepting globs

This was to allow "git diff-files -- '*.h'" (currently diff family
knows only the leading directory match and not fileglobs), but was shot
down by Alex.  I tend to agree with him.

* jc/diff-relative (Thu Dec 6 09:48:32 2007 -0800) 1 commit
 - Make "diff" Porcelain output paths as relative to subdirectory.

* jc/cherry-pick (Tue Nov 13 12:38:51 2007 -0800) 1 commit
 . revert/cherry-pick: start refactoring call to merge_recursive

* jc/pathspec (Thu Sep 13 13:38:19 2007 -0700) 3 commits
 . pathspec_can_match(): move it from builtin-ls-tree.c to tree.c
 . ls-tree.c: refactor show_recursive() and rename it.
 . tree-diff.c: split out a function to match a single pattern.

* jc/dashless (Sat Dec 1 22:09:22 2007 -0800) 2 commits
 . Prepare execv_git_cmd() for removal of builtins from the
   filesystem
 . git-shell: accept "git foo" form

We do not plan to remove git-foo form completely from the filesystem at
this point, so these are not strictly necessary.