Subject: Re: Cleaning up git user-interface warts

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:52:47 -0800

Nicolas Pitre <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if that could be "git merge <committish>..."
>> instead.  I do not care too much about the ... part (i.e. an
>> Octopus), but I often find myself doing:
>> 
>> 	git checkout next
>>         git merge "Merge early part of branch 'foo'" HEAD foo~3
>> 
>> when earlier part of "foo" topic are worthy to be in 'next' but
>> not the later ones.
>
> Indeed !

Indeed, what?

That means that updated "git merge" (not the current one) would
not be able to assume it's parameter is a branch name, and still
has to come up with the merge message "Merge <branch>".

Merging only within the local branch namespace already has the
problem you need to solve to come up with a nicely formatted
"Merge <branch> of <remote repository>" some way.  I am not
saying that this is unsolvable (you can look at remotes/ files
to see what remote tracking branch the branch is about), but
something you need to keep in mind when implementing the
improved "git merge".