Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] gitweb: Create install target for gitweb in Makefile

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 12:45:42 -0700

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Installing gitweb is now as easy as
>   # make gitwebdir=/var/www/cgi-bin gitweb-install  ;# as root
> The gitweb/INSTALL file was updated accordingly.

Just a style, but I prefer a blank line on both sides of an example
command line like this.

> There is a question whether to rely on correctly set file permissions
> during build phase, i.e.
>
> 	$(INSTALL) $(GITWEB_FILES) '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitwebdir_SQ)'
>
> or whether to ensure correct file permissions during installl phase
>
> 	$(INSTALL) -m 755 $(GITWEB_PROGRAMS) '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitwebdir_SQ)'
> 	$(INSTALL) -m 644 $(GITWEB_FILES)    '$(DESTDIR_SQ)$(gitwebdir_SQ)'
>
> Currently the first option is used.

Hmm, the reason being?  I do not have a strong preference either way, but
the primary Makefile seems to use "-m mode".

> Note that install-* targets, including new install-gitweb, are not
> marked as .PHONY

The reason being?

My preference for the standard targets like "all", "clean", and "install"
is to make them double-colon rules and mark them as phoneys.