Subject: Re: [PATCH] git filter-branch: Process commits in --date-order

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 16:51:50 -0800

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Peter Rosin wrote:
>
>> When converting an svn repository to git, I am filtering the commits
>> using --msg-filter. During this conversion I want to use the
>> .git-rewrite/map data to fill in references to other commits. In the
>> svn repo, there is a commit message e.g. "Cherry-pick r207", and I
>> want to append "r207 = <commit>" to the git commit message, as r207
>> no longer means very much. This works fine when the git commit
>> corresponding to r207 has been filtered before the current commit, and
>> is present in the map. When filtering in --topo-order, this is not
>> always the case, making it impossible to look up the git commit.
>
> I'd rather have this as an option.  God knows what breaks with time-skewed 
> repositories if you use date-order instead of topo-order, and I'd rather 
> not break that not quite uncommon case.

I am wondering if it even makes sense to allow users to disable
topological ordering.

Doesn't filter-branch have the same "child commits build on top of parent
commits" dependency as fast-export has?  And didn't you guys fix
fast-export recently?