Subject: Re: [PATCH] Improve documentation for git-sh-setup.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:17:51 -0800

Pierre Habouzit <[email-masked]> writes:

>   Actually, new scripts should be written using git rev-parse if
> possible, the USAGE/LONG_USAGE were there _before_ and I'd like to call
> them the deprecated interface if other git hackers don't mind.
>
>   git rev-parse --parseopt gives consistency in how git parses options,
> and it's A Good Thing™

I certainly think encouraging use of parse-options in new
scripts is a good idea, even though I suspect "deprecated" above
might be a bit too strong.

I did not find accessible from the command line variant was the
parse-opt-hidden feature, which was frustrating.

>   That makes me think that git-sh-setup(1) use should be documented in
> gitcli(5), maybe even included, and git-sh-setup(1) should *definitely*
> link to gitcli(5). We wondered where to link gitcli from, this is
> definitely the place !

Sounds good.  Please make it so.