Subject: Re: gitweb and remote branches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:07:13 -0700

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:

> That reminds me that gitweb has no support for detached HEAD as of yet,
> although I don't think we want to encourage detached HEAD in public 
> repo.

That logic is flawed, I am afraid.  If you have been talking
only about serving public repository via gitweb, then the topic
of the thread becomes totally moot.  Exposing or even having
remotes/ in public distribution point repository would be even
more wrong than using detached HEAD in public repository.  Other
people who interact with you should not have any business what
you happened to have fetched from _your_ upstream --- if you
want to publish them and act as a relay for your downstream,
then they should be fetched from your branch namespace.

But obviously people use gitweb/instaweb as a way to view their
own live repository, and I think it makes sense to show and
support remotes/ in such a case.  It also would make sense to
support detached HEAD there as well.