Subject: Re: New special handing of '@' character broke my use case

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:05:07 -0700

Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> writes:

> My problems is that some new automagical interpretation of the bare
> @' character (introduced after 1.8.3) has destroyed my use case:
> ...
> I don't want to ask you to revert this new behaviour, but I'd like to
> at least have an option to disable it.

I do not think it is simply not worth the complexity to selectively
disable it.  If it is a regression, it is much better to simply
revert, if we can (it appears that cdfd9483 (Add new @ shortcut for
HEAD, 2013-05-07) can be reverted without any textual context, but
there may already be new stuff that depends on the "@").

For the upcoming release, I am very much tempted to revert it and
let the topic retried, by people who really want the "let's save
four keystrokes and replace it with @ aka Shift-<something>",
without hurting your use case (and others), after the upcoming
release.

What do others think?