Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC3 INTRO] I hope this will do it!

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:47:11 -0700

Michael Witten <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 04:02, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> It is unfortunate that the interesting ones begin at 10th in the series,
>> which are beind the 9th one that is a "churn in the middle".
>
> (http://marc.info/?l=git&m=123959564630157&w=2):
>> The general rule of thumb is to do such a clean-up before you start to work on something of substance.
>
> (http://marc.info/?l=git&m=123914648915106&w=2):
>> a good rule of thumb when preparing a series is to have this kind of obvious clean-up first, leaving enhancement patches later in the series.
>
> I guess, then, this whitespace patch is something of substance---an
> enhancement ;-D
>
> ... or unnecessary "code churn"... I suppose.

An obviously good and uncontroversial clean-up should come first, so that
it can be applied and meat of the change can be discussed on the cleaned
base version.

A clean-up that might be judged as a mere churn should come last, so that
enhancements and fixes can go first without waiting for the controversy to
settle.