Subject: Re: Managing websites with git

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:07:54 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 10:55:34AM -0500, Jason Riedy wrote:
>
>> Ah, ok, thanks!  Issuing a warning makes sense.  I'm not sure if
>> denying such a push by default does...
> ...
> It shouldn't make you change how you work. At most, it will break an
> existing setup until you set receive.denycurrentbranch to false (again,
> if and when the default value changes). You can prepare for any such
> change now by pre-emptively setting the config value.

True.

But "pre-emptively" is a bit misleading.  Please realize that the warning
is not about "this is a risky thing to do, you've been warned", but is
about "the behaviour to allow this may change in the future; if you rely
on it please set this config before that happens".  We may end up not
flipping the default for a long time, but setting the config also has the
side effect of squelching the warning, so it never hurts to set it now.