Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (topics)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:58:38 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I personally think -sstrategy=string1,string2,... is simply a bad taste.
>> 
>> Why force yourself to parse things by having the users to concatenate
>> something that the user could give us separated?  If you care about the
>> order and association between strategy and their options, you can always
>> do:
>> 
>> 	-s strategy1 -X option-1-for-strategy-1 -X option-2-for-strategy-1 \
>> 	-s strategy2 -X option-1-for-strategy-2 ...
>
> You mean something like
>
> 	$ git merge -s subtree -X --path -X git-gui/ git-gui/master
>
> Wow. :-)

I would envision it to be more like:

	$ git merge -s subtree -Xpath=git-gui git-gui/master

which git-merge internally would turn into:

	$ git-merge-subtree --path=git-gui HEAD -- OURS THEIRS

That way both the external command line (that the end users do care about)
and the internal one (that the strategy programmer would care about) look
a lot more sensible than your command line, don't they?