Subject: Re: Closing the merge window for 1.6.0

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:33:05 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> What troubles me the most is that you seem to be forgetting that we are 
>> using git to manage our codebase.
>
> I don't.  I have vivid memories of updating an ancient git repository of 
> Git itself, which had some almost forgotten changes in it.  That was in 
> the bad old days, when the version number did not even have a "1" in it.
>
> It could not even fetch the current git.git.
>
> I do _not_ want that to happen to anybody else, _even if_ we leave 1.4.4.4 
> Behind as if it was an American Child.

My reference to "git" was about "forking is easy".  We seem to have to
agree that talking is even cheaper, though ;-)

> Having said that, I do not have the resources to test and fix everything 
> that may arise from Debian being seemingly unable to update to Git 1.5.  

Heh, what happent to your earlier "a few minutes for Junio to change and
commit"?