Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] diff: make "too many files" rename warning optional

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 12:52:59 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 09:28:18AM +1000, Paul Mackerras wrote:
>
>> At the moment I don't think there is a good way in Tcl to get hold of
>> the stderr output if a subcommand returns a non-zero exit status, but
>> ignore it if the exit status is 0, other than by redirecting stderr to
>> a temporary file, which has its own problems.  Tcl can bundle stderr
>> in with stdout, or ignore it, or take it as an error indication, or
>> send it to a file.
>> 
>> So if git commands can avoid writing non-error messages to stderr,
>> that will make my life easier...
>
> In that case, Junio, perhaps we should restrict this particular warning
> just to merge.

I am not sure if we really want to work around Tcl's braindamage like
that.

There is no stdwarn or stdinfo stream and I think it is a bug on the
receiving end to assume that anything that comes to stderr is an error.