Subject: Re: Friendly refspecs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:45:05 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> No, the proposal is:
>
>         "git push $there $commit:$name", when $name does not begin with
>         refs/, is interpreted as "git push $there
>         $commit:$prefix/$name", where $prefix is determined by resolving
>         $commit and pulling off its first two directories.
>
> (or maybe this should just be picky and DWIM only for refs/heads and
> refs/tags). So "git push v1.0" is the same as "git push v1.0:v1.0",
> which is the same as "git push refs/tags/v1.0:refs/tags/v1.0".

Where is $there in your example?

Funny but I recall recently running "git push ko v1.5.5.1" and it all
worked as expected...

I thought the original poster's example was

	git push $there $commit:branch2

where $commit happened to be "branch1".  Would we dwim

	git push $there branch1~4:this_is_known_ok

to refs/heads/?