Subject: Re: git remote update -> rejected

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:50:57 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> For your benefit, I just assume that you did not yet read my reply to 
> Peff's mail.
>
> With the --mirror mode, you can no longer discern clearly between local 
> and remote branches.  This is basically what we had in the beginning, 
> before the "separate remotes layout".
>
> So your point is not valid, an update will interfer with "local" branches.

I personally do not think _your_ point is valid.  Doesn't --mirror mean
you do not have local branches?

At least that was my understanding of the intention of the --mirror
option.  You give control away to the other end on the ref namespace, so
that you can treat it as a, eh, "mirror".  Perhaps you would want to have
a single such repository behind a firewall or this side of slow link and
use it as a feeder repository to serve many other clones on this side.

I personally do not think --mirror option makes sense with --track, nor
it makes sense in a non-bare repository for that matter.