Subject: Re: [PATCH] Force new line at end of commit message

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 04:05:39 -0800

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> ...  Instead you were adding a newline regardless to the
> end of the first commit, but not doing so for the other ones.

To illustrate, this is what I get when trying to squash four
commits:

    # This is a combination of 4 commits.
    # The first commit's message is:

    Documentation/git-submodule.txt: typofix

    Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>

    # This is the 2nd commit message:

    git-sh-setup: document git_editor() and get_author_ident_from_commit()

    These 2 functions were missing from the manpage.

    Signed-off-by: Miklos Vajna <[email-masked]>
    Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
    # This is the 3rd commit message:

    "git pull --tags": error out with a better message.

    When "git pull --tags" is run without any other arguments, the
    ...

Notice that there is a gap before "# This is the 2nd commit" but
there isn't any gap before "# This is the 3rd commit"?

The patch under discussion happens to fix this inconsistency as
a side effect.