Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] "color.diff = true" is not "always" anymore.

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:10:35 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 06:36:44PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>
>> > It would be nice to have a "git config --colorbool" option, but it has
>> > the unfortunate problem that the stdout of "git config" is piped back to
>> > the caller, so the isatty check is meaningless (and the "pager in use"
>> > is similarly tricky). Perhaps it should go in Git.pm, so it at least
>> > only needs to be written once.
>> 
>> About the isatty(3) check, you do not have to use the stdout to report
>> the result, though.  IOW, you could use the exit code from the command.
>
> I thought about that, but it feels a little wrong since it is so unlike
> all of the other interfaces to git-config.

Yeah, that is why I did not seriously suggest it.  The message you were
responding to was sitting in my "I do not know if this should go out"
box for a few days and was sent out purely by accident ;-)