Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add git-bundle - pack objects and references for disconnected transfer

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:28:32 -0800

"Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Using "test" is a style thing, but using "=" rather than "==" is
> a portability issue.  "==" is accepted by bash as a synonym for
> "=", but its not valid elsewhere.

True, I should have stressed that.  Thanks.  Also in the same
sense (but to a lessor degree), "test" vs "[" is also
portability issue.

> What about:
>
> 	parents="$parents $(git-rev-list --max-count=1 --parents $c | cut -b42-)"
>
> I just used that trick recently.  Oh yea it was in git-gui's
> GIT-VERSION-GEN script.  Though I did not know about using cut
> like that...

I used to stay away from 'cut' myself, although it is not too
bad for portability these days.  I would probably have done the
above with a single sed process, though.