Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFD] builtin-revert.c: release index lock when cherry-picking an empty commit

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:58:35 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> [this is a follow-up on the "eval 'false\n\n'" returns 0 issue on
> FreeBSD]

Thanks for keeping track of this one.

> Thanks for looking this up, Mike. It sounds like FreeBSD is probably the
> only problematic one. I confirmed that the problem still exists in
> FreeBSD 7.1, and I've mailed the git ports maintainer off-list to
> make him aware of the issue. So we'll see what happens.
>
> Junio, do you want to put anything in the release notes warning people
> who build from source that this is a potential issue? Do you want
> something in the Makefile detecting that the shell is broken?

A sentence or two in INSTALL will not hurt.

I would not worry too much about the test scripts, but I would worry more
about getting phantom bug reports for our shell script Porcelains that get
hit by this.  Earlier I mentioned bisect is the only heavy user, but the
issue is more severe with filter-branch that is designed to eval end user
scripts (calls to 'eval "$filter_frotz"' check the exit status and die on
failure---with trailing blank lines the failure the filter reports will
not get caught).